Sunday 4 January 2009

A cold Sunday

It's been a very cold day today in this house without heating, but we have managed. I gave in to the cats though and put the gas fire on for a while in the living room, Freddie and Lilly sat gazing lovingly at the warm glow. This morning I was trying to get my knitted bag finished, only the handles left to put on. I saw something on a web site about cutting plastic carrier bags into strips and knitting them into a new bag. I have a lot of those charity bags which are a lot bigger but they never seem to collect them, so I have been using those. I'll put a picture on here when it is finished.

This afternoon I took my friends dog, Ben for a walk, some people think dog walking is a chore, but I love it. I have three cats so I can't have a dog, I wouldn't want the ties anyway, so it suits me to borrow someone elses dog. I have been walking Ben for three years, he is adorable. He lives very close to me and I have a key to the house so I can take him out whenever I like. Within minutes we are in the countryside, it's very high up here and the views are stunning across the River Trent, on a clear day I can see for miles across Yorkshire. I am definately a country bumpkin at heart, what could be better than the woods and fields, the valleys and the hills, I'm in my element. Here is my best friend.

I don't like spending hours in the kitchen cooking fancy food, after all, it all goes the same way whether you have spent three hours on it or five minutes. Plain and simple food suits me and my purse. Tonight I have made a veggie stew in a big pan that will last me three days, and it's lovely. I picked some sprouts and cabbage from my garden, then I added half a swede, two big carrots, two onions, a tub of cooked green tomatoes I froze in October when it looked unlikely that they would ripen, two apples, some pot barley, bulgur wheat, sesame seeds, linseed seeds, raisins, and a stock cube and spices, and sauce mix. My mum used to make stews like this, just throw anything in that you have, you can't beat it on a cold winters night. I'm iff to get a glass of Port now, my Christmas treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.