Wednesday 18 February 2009

Too many choices.

It's good to have choices in life, but sometimes I think we have too many. I like going with my instincts and doing what I think is best, and dealing with the consequences if I have made the wrong choice. Big decisions need a lot of thought, like which direction do you want your life to go, but now we seem to be bombarded with so many choices for such trivial matters, that can screw you up if you let them.

In my quest for a simple life I have made the decision to limit my choices on small unimportant matters, the more clutter I can delete from everyday life the more I value life.

For instance, it is important that I spend time getting the most for my money whilst food shopping, but, there are a lot of things I will not eat. This cuts out many of the supermarket aisles which I don't venture down at all. I miss out meat, (fresh, frozen, and canned), cakes, biscuits, crisps, fizzy drinks, alchohol, all freezers except veggies, most of the dairy except yoghurt, soya milk, and cheese. I also give a wide berth to sauces and pickles, jams, household cleaning products, and all non food. It makes shopping so much easier.

As I said, I buy my food on price and quality, this also limits my choices, but I like that. When I shop I don't walk around thinking what do I fancy for my dinner. I buy what is on special offer or reduced at the time, and plan my meals around that. Contrary to what most people think, that having a shopping list helps you spend less, for me the opposite is true. If you have a plan for your meals then you have to get the ingredients to make them. I have no plan, I eat what is cheap, even if it means having the same meal for three of four nights on the trot. Less choices to worry about, and less food thrown away because I eat everything I buy.

In the house I apply the principal of if you haven't got one you don't need it, and if it doesn't work you can't switch it on, simple. My central heating conked out a couple of years ago, people have offered help and advice to get it sorted, and I have declined. My thoughts are, if it doesn't work I dont have to make the decision whether to turn it on or not, get rid of the choice, it's easier. The same with a television, I don't have one so that takes away the decision of whether to watch it or not. If I had one I know I would sit on my bum for hours and become a cabbage, best to take the choice away and not have one at all.

It's a good job I have never tried smoking, can't for the life of me understand why people do that, but that is their choice.
Daily spend - £18.03 landline

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you that we are inundated with choice and it certainly doesn't help in simplifying life.
    I too avoid the processed food aisles, but I do use a shopping list and try to keep within a budget. I'm always surprised though, when I get to the checkout how much I have spent, it is always more than what I had expected. I am hopeless at cooking meals off the top of my head and always have to follow a recipe, but I'm sure as you have proved, it is a far more economical way to shop and cook if you can.
    I think if my heating system conked out I would have to get it fixed, I don't like to be cold. I do admire and respect the choices you have made and you certainly personify Ghandi's quote, "Live simply, so that others may simply live".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard that quote before, Jane, thank you. It makes sense when you think about it. I do seem to have a simplistic view of life, my aim is to be happy with my lot. My dreams are simple, enough to eat, and a shelter above my head.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.