Monday 25 May 2009

Veg boxes

Another day in the garden, I love it, sun shining, what more could you want on a Bank Holiday. Certainly beats the rush to the seaside, only to find millions of other people all doing the same. I thought I would put a few pics on here of my veg boxes, it's an ideal way to grow food if you haven't got much space, not that it applies to me, I have loads of space, but I just like the neatness of it all.

I use boxes for all sorts of plants that don't grow too big, I have tomatoes in them in my greenhouse, two plants to each box. Also two cucumber plants fit nicely. Last year I tried courgettes, one plant in each box. They grew alright and I had quite a few fruits off them, but they weren't as productive as those in the raised beds. I ended up with six extra runner bean plants last year, so I put them in a box with their canes. They did fine, loads of beans from them.
From the top down, Beetroot, Raddishes, Peas, Salad Leaves in a washing up bowl, Potatoes in an old kitchen wall cupboard, and peas in a bed with trellis round to keep the cats off.

1 comment:

  1. Growing in boxes is a brilliant idea. I do it all the time. They are really just mini raised beds! everything looks like its growing really well Ilona. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.