Sunday 7 June 2009

Free shopping bag

Last year I picked up a gazebo roof at Peterborough Showground, which someone had discarded after a caravan and motorhome show. The trade stands leave their piles of junk lying around and I can't resist rooting through them to see what can be salvaged.

The other day I got it out of my garage, spread it out on the ground, and cut it up into massive blue and white triangles, discarding all the seams. Although it was in quite good condition, hardly used, I scrubbed a blue piece with soapy water and hung it up to dry. It cleaned up nicely, now what can I make with it?

I tested a small piece to see if it would go through my new sewing machine without breaking a needle, and if the stitching would be strong enough to hold a bag together without tearing. It looked fine to me.

Next get a carrier bag to use as a pattern, lay it out on the floor and cut round it. A bit of decoration would be nice. I used a stencil to cut some letters out of the vinyl offcuts I have, and stitched these on first. Then sew up the sides, and make a fold in the bottom to give it some width, copying the plastic bag.

Next I cut two pieces matching the shape of the handles and stitched them to the inside of the bag to reinforce them. Here is my bag, I know the letters are higgledy piggledy, and the sewing is not perfect, but I think this adds to the fun of the bag. It is obviously home made, a message I am proud to convey to others at the supermarket. The cost? Nothing.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a fab bag Ilona! I too love rummaging around unwanted piles of stuff. Last year I found 2 lovely pyrex dishes just dumped by a carbooter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent bag you made a great job of that. I am following your blog now, because I love all your ideas that you come up with. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told my mum about this Ilona ans she's mightily impressed, as am I!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    We have just added your latest post "Life After Money Free shopping bag" to our Directory of Shopping . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


    Warm Regards

    Best Mart Team

    http://www.bestmart.info

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.