Tuesday 14 July 2009

My hobby job

I was up at the crack of dawn today, drive twentyfive miles, pick up a motorhome and deliver it to the Showground at Pickering in North Yorkshire. It's the Northern Motorhome Show this weekend, and Timberland, the company I work for is taking 50 vehicles.

I call this my hobby job because it gives me a day out, today I went over the Humber Bridge to Beverley, then took the B1248 through the Wolds, to Malton and Pickering. The countryside is looking lovely and golden at the moment, the fields are littered with massive bales of straw, and tractors pulling farm machinery are trundling up and down the roads. Everyone is busy getting the harvest in.

Arriving at the Showground I was directed to an area designated for vehicle washing, they have to be in pristine condition to impress the public. I found Steve and Andy, our chief valeters, up to their elbows in soapy water. They are here for three days getting the stand ready. They soon made a start on the one I brought in, as soon as I was out of it and took my trade plates off, the pressure washer was fired up. This one sells for £52,000
Not long later, the other drivers turned up, so we all had a picnic on the grass before we went back in the mini bus. I thought this was going to be an easy day, a pleasant drive out into the countryside, then go home. I was mistaken, we all went back to pick up a second vehicle. Although I had the option of only doing one, I thought I would join in with everyone else and make two trips.
Now I am ready for my bed, I'm nodding off at the computer, goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.