Monday 5 October 2009

Best ever bag

A couple of weeks ago I saw some patchwork bags in River Island which were rather nice, they gave me some ideas to make my own. I picked out some matching fabric samples from the pile I have been hoarding for many years, and cut them into three inch squares. I stitched these together with the machine to make two sides. I added a strip across the top of each one because I thought this would make it easier to sew the zip onto, I also added two strips on the inside cut from an old plastic tablecloth to act as a stiffener.

Next I made the handles with matching fabric, and stitched one onto each side. Then came the decoration, always best to sew it on now before you join them up. I cut three leaf shapes from some red upholstery fabric, and sealed the edges with clear nail varnish, then hand stitched them into place with a few buttons.

I rounded the bottom corners and sewed the two sides together. Next I sewed the zip into place, this came from a garment that I took apart. Finally I made the lining from a gold shiny blouse that I bought for 20p from a car boot sale. I hand sewed this into the bag neatly round the top. Everything fitted together perfectly, the right colour lining, right colour cotton, and a zip the right size. It is 12" x 11" and the handles are long enough to put them over your shoulder. I'm very pleased with it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is brilliant, you could easily sell them for some extra cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bag Ilona... I really like this one. Buttons and petal decoration is a super idea... I may borrow that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful ...

    Anne in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.