Monday 15 February 2010

Pampering my feet

I think I had better start looking after me feet, after all if I am to go off trekking at every opportunity I'm going to need a couple of happy plates of meat. What I would really like is to treat myself to a lovely relaxing pedicure by some professionally trained person, but that is most unlikely because the cost of it would be more than I could bear.

So what's the next best thing? A frugal diy pedicure, my mum used to do this all the time. First of all gather up all the bits and pieces you will need. I had a look in the back of my bathroom cabinet and found some Deodorising Lemongrass Foot Spray and a bottle of Peppermint Leg Cooling Gel, left over from my Bodyshop consultancy job about eight years ago. I did this work for a while so I could get my toiletries at hugely discounted prices.

Next I need some implements to scrape, and scrub, and cut toe nails. I love those sponges with a rough bumpy side, my whole body gets cleaned with one of those, face as well, ouch! A pumice stone for the hard skin, and sharp scissors for my nails. I know you are not supposed to cut them into the corners but I always do, and I have never had ingrowing toenails. A fluffy towel out of the airing cupboard will be needed.

To finish off the treatment I have a selection of moisturising creams in sachets. As I mentioned before, these were given to me as part of a bag of usefull stuff. All I have to do is decide whether to use the Hydrofirming Night Treatment Cream, the Comforting Moisture Cream, or the Biologie Skin Optimizer, what the heck is that for? As I am not going to bed yet, I choose the Comforting Cream.

Nearly ready, boil a kettle full of water, and lay a towel on the floor in front of a comfortable arm chair. A nice bowl of hot soapy water to soak my feet in. Washing up liquid for me, it does the job and is cheap, but you can use any old soap. Time to relax and close my eyes while I swish about. My Andrea Bocelli cd is perfect for these daydreaming moments. When you are scrubbed clean up to your knees, and the hard bits smoothed with the stone, dry your legs and wrap your feet in the towel. A trim with the scissors should be easy now the nails are nice and soft.


Finish off with a foot massage, I use generous squirts and splashes of creams and lotions, all the way up to my knees. If you are going to be wearing sandals you might like to paint your nails. I can't be bothered with that sort of thing so I just slip on a clean pair of socks and my feet feel warm and snug. I am going to pamper my feet more often, they deserve it. I must have saved about thirty quid today.

3 comments:

  1. You are quite right to pamper your feet before long walks.
    I also recommend a lathering of vaseline on your feet, then cover them with a pair of old socks before you retire to bed and you will find your feet ever so soft and well cared for in the morning. Any hard skin you might have had will be soft enough to remove very easily. This will give you summer feet, fit for wearing sandals. Happy walking, dear Ilona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love doing this especially with me walking alot too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pampering moments! and we should all look after our feet. We always use 'scrubby sponges' and look after our skin. I can recommend any old greasy cheap moisturiser, slap it all over your feet, hovering them in mid air, pop a pair of socks and let the gubbins do it's job over night! I'de love a facial and pedicure too but I can do it myself - so I do!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.