Monday 19 April 2010

A bit of carefull planning

Oh how I hate washing up. Here is my pile of pots from the last three days, I suppose it's about time I washed them :o(


There is no hot water coming out of my taps because I don't switch it on untill I want a bath, and the central heating hasn't been used for a few weeks now, I can manage without it, it's not cold any more.

So it's down to boiling a kettle to wash the pots, and if I do it once every three days that's quite a saving on the cost of heating the water if you work it out over a period of time. The pile is a bit unsightly but I can live with it. I will use the smallest amount of washup liquid and the only thing I dry is the cutlery, everything else will stay on the drainer till it is dry. That cuts down on how often I have to wash the tea towel, which eventually reduces the amount of times I use the washing machine.

I've just had the statement from my credit card company, now I have to pay for my next holiday, so the relentless money saving excercises continue. I must always stay on top of things, don't ever become complacent. Just because I have the money put by for this one, doesn't mean I can relax and take my eye off the ball. No, with a bit of carefull planning, I should be able to afford some more holidays.

7 comments:

  1. There's an award for you lady - check out my blog !!
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit the nail on the head... even when you have money it's important to still keep an eye on things! Unfortunately every time I get a little extra the tooth fairy gets wind of it and I end up at the dentist with some astronomically expensive problem to be fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, we have no hot water now and boil the kettle, i even do that for my wash in the morning, it saves me a fortune by not turning that boiler on - we have a dishwasher and it takes us almost a week to fill but we only do two washes a week....saves dearly beloved's soft hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The money pot might look full one day, but soon there are some unforseen circumstances or some emergencies of some kind that quickly reduce that pot to virtually nothing. Just when you think you`ve got it all sorted, then there is your washing machine breaking down or some other type of repair needed round the house. You are right, never to get complacent about this money thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. You save up a little bit of cash, you think whoopeee I'll treat myself, what shall I spend it on, and before you know it some emergency crops up and you've gone into the red. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I`m not much of a money spender. It`s usually my partner that says I should treat myself once in a while. Unless there is a desperate need for something I would rather safe up a bit of a reserve for unforseen situations. Over the last 6 month I have been saving up a few £ hundred for my partners 50 st birthday party. I managed to save it on the side, from my usual amount of shopping/household money. He will get the best birthday I can afford this year, and it will be a total surprise. I`ll still have time till mid September to raise more cash. The rest of his siblings and some of his cousines are helping me organise the party. I just hope that I can keep saving without running into some kind of emergency during the next few month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good idea to save for something specific. I've been reading Alvin Hall's book, Money Magic. He says set a savings goal, don't say 'I'll save as much as I can', but decide on a real amount per month or per week. Put a set amount away before you pay your bills, then manage on whatever you have left. That makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.