Thursday 11 November 2010

We will remember them

The photo's which my uncle gave me are quite small, but I have scanned these, so that my mum and dad can float around in cyber space forever.

Look at the lovely pram I am sitting in. I'm not sure where the picture was taken, it looks like the door of a cottage. I remember mum had a box camera, the sort you hold down on your waist and look into the top of it.

My mum was strikingly beautiful, I don't take after her but my sister does, lucky girl. She had thick black hair. The fur coat must have been real fur, they hadn't invented imitation then. I remember buying a real fur coat from a jumble sale when I was a teenager, and parading around in it. How awful, I was young and didn't know any better.

Mum (Martha) and dad (Norman) together. It looks like she had her hair cut a bit shorter there.

Dad in his army uniform. He looks very young, it was probably taken just after he had joined up. Dad was in Hamburg during the war where he met mum. When he came back home to England she came with him and they were married.
Things could have been a lot different, he could have been injured, or worse still killed, in which case I would not be here. Lucky for me, he came back.
Not so lucky for the families of others, who did not come back.

"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning.
We will remember them."

6 comments:

  1. just beautiful, thanks for posting that x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old photographs and such a romantic story too... it may not have been easy for your mum coming to live in post war britain where Germans were not especially well regarded. They must have been very much in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos Ilona, your parents were an elegant couple and you look so cute in your first set of wheels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely old photos:) You must have been thrilled to receive these. Your Mum is so beautiful and your Dad was a very handsome chap. You look very cute sitting in your pram with your bonnet on. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.