Monday 12 September 2011

Cabbage soup - made up recipe

Thank you for all your ideas of what to do with the greens aka cabbage ;o) Some of the outside leaves were pretty ropey, or should I say tough as old boot leather, ha ha. Those got chucked onto the compost heap. I cut out the hard centre stalk of the decent stuff, and chopped what's left into small pieces with a big knife. No, that isn't my kitchen window, it's the chopping board :-)

Cook in a drop of olive oil, stir frequently. Add a shake of garlic granules.

Add a chopped cooking onion, some chopped spring onions, (need to use them up). Crumble in a veggie oxo cube, love licking my fingers after that. Next a sprinkle of turmeric, and a sprinkle of curry sauce powder. Add water and simmer for ten minutes. I didn't bother to liquidise it, it's soft enough to chew now.

Just in time for lunch. Break up a slice of wholemeal bread and chuck it in. Eat immediately straight out of the pan, saves on washing up.

Deeeelishus. Will look for some more cheap leaves now.

8 comments:

  1. Love your cabbage art! We eat a lot of soup in the winter, it's cheap, nutritious and warming.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore all greens especially in soup, does the soul good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good. I am glad you enjoyed it. Now, you have a new vegetable to eat. You are really making me want cabbage and onions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. inspired me! I love Home made soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo nothin better'un homemade soup!

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  6. that probably isn't the most attractive meal I have ever seen Ilona, hope it tastes better than it looks :-)) I have been using my glut of marrows in soup - scrummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, it doesn't look attractive, Kate. I closed my eyes when I ate it, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you were able to make some tasty soup with your cabbage. I did a double take when I looked at the first photo, you did a good job. :-) Your soup with the bread thrown in reminded me of a tasty soup you might like to try if you get the ingredients together. It's lovely and very filling.

    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/bread-tomato-soup-pappa-al-pomodoro

    I came across this in the paper today too, thought it was quite funny. Great Customer service. :-)

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036663/Marks-Spencer-customer-service-sends-disgruntled-shopper-dinosaur-drawing.html


    Cheers, Christy.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.