Thursday 24 January 2013

Ignoring the sell by dates on food.

Just poppin in to give a quick update on the food situation here at Tightwad Towers. My last Tesco shop was eight days ago, when I spent £8 +. I got a few bits from town the day after, eggs, cheese, and some veg. Today I used the last of the bagged salad leaves for my lunch, had to pick a few wilty bits from it, but that's not bad for saying it was eight days out of date. Some of the veg went in a three day stew which I have now eaten, and all the yogurt has gone, so has the bread. However I still have enough food to last me untill possibly Wednesday, so I am going to make it last, and stretch a weekly supermarket shop to two weeks.
This is my dinner for tonight. Sorry about the quality of the photo, very dark and very light colours don't photograph well with a flash. There is spinach, (still got some left for tomorrow), frozen salmon portion, cous cous, and today I boiled the two packs of fresh beetroot that I paid 36p for last week. A very healthy meal I think.
I've spent most of the day working on the peg rug, it's growing inch by inch, and looking good. It's started to thaw a bit here, but the pavements are still covered in hard compacted ice. It's very slippery to walk on, so I stayed in today. I'll go back downstairs now and do a bit more of the rug, while listening to Radio 4. Toodle pip. Catch you tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Mr Anonymous from Guyana throws communal food in our fridge at work out when it's a day over date. Scary Secretary and I get extraordinarily cross. Our rule is if it hasn't grown legs and doesn't smell or taste bad then it's probably okay! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be most annoyed.
      When you put your food in the fridge at a Youth Hostel you put a label on it with your name and date of leaving. When you check out you can leave your unused food for others to eat, if you don't want to take it with you.

      Delete
  2. looks great Ilona...sell by dates are for wimps - I bet that, like me ,you are almost never ill:-) I lurve beetroot (36p in a good price I think I'm paying 47p) I had jacket potato & salad with beetroot for my dinner this evening - so very similar. Can't wait to see the finished rug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dinner looks pretty good to me Ilona. I use my eyes and nose rather than the sell by dates to decide if things are ok. I have got veg in the fridge from before Christmas. The things I am really careful with are fish and shellfish.
    I was out visiting today and was passing Morrisons at about six. I decided to pop in and see if there were any bargains to be had. I am so glad I did as I .got 4 packs of good quality sausages, a block of cheese and 2 chinese meals for just over £2. I wouldnt normally buy ready meals but they are in the freezer now for a day when I dont feel like standing in my freezing cold kitchen cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good finds Eileen. If you can spare a few minutes to pop into a supermarket late in the day as you are passing, there's a chance you will spot a bargain. You're like me Eileen, I don't make a habbit of buying ready meals, but a cheap meal now and then is not going to kill us.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a very healthy diet Ilona. All that fibre must be good for the digestive system.
    I look forward to seeing the completed rug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. going to google what a peg rug is..........

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sell by dates are exactly that, the date the store has to sell or return the items to the vendor and replace with newer dated items. It's keep the world going round in the food industry. Unopened items will last for months/years beyond sell by or use by dates. There may be a slight loss of flavor or color, but the food is still good in tinned items. Fresh produce require the eyes, nose, and touch system for whether or not it's good. I have a friend who wastes an enormous amount of money throwing out everything by its sell by date, regular as rain. But, you can't tell her anything, so I don't. Looking forward to seeing the rug. Come visit when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Ilona from House fairy.
    I was awake early today , about 6am. Just after 8am I decided to make poached eggs on toast.

    I think you have some will power, not having much fats or bread in your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ilona, your dinner looks very delicious. I never used to like beets when I was a kid but now I do. Do you eat bread? Just wondering. The sliced bread here has gone up in price so much. If I don't get it on sale, it can be priced up to $4 US a loaf. I'm talking about whole grain bread and not white. I try to find a sale on it and then freeze a couple of loaves while it's on sale.
    Even the French baguette or Italian bread has gone up so much. I wonder if it is because of wheat prices? Don't know, but I cringe if I have to pay full price for it. About sell by dates, I used to get panicky if I had a can of something with a "bad" sell by date but now I don't care about that so much. I will just taste and smell the food beforehand. I bet alot of food gets wasted like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi KG. I do eat bread, but not much. I only eat wholemeal or seeded bread, usually two slices a day, sometimes none at all. I have a cheese sandwich, or honey or lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.