Tuesday 5 March 2013

A walk around Barnard Castle

Hiya. Today I visited this French Chateau. It was built in the 19th century and stands in stunning gardens and parkland.
It is regarded as one of the most significant museums outside London, so no, it's not in France.
It certainly has the wow factor, doesn't it. I came across this magnificent building by chance. I drove up the A1M and came off at Scotch Corner, taking the A66 westbound. I had planned on visiting Bowes, but took a wrong turn and ended up at Barnard Castle.
This is The Bowes Museum, which was built by local mine owner, John Bowes and his French wife, Josephine. I didn't go inside the museum, it was £8 to get in and I only had an hour or so, so it wasn't worth it.  
Wonderful carved squirrel sculpture in the garden.
I really liked Barnard Castle, there is lots of Georgian and Victorian architecture. This octagonal building is the Market Cross, also known as The Butter Market, built in 1747.
The castle was closed, so I had a walk around the outside of it. It stands on a high rock overlooking the River Tees, and is mainly ruins.
This is the County Bridge. I decided to head out to Bowes, a few miles away. I needn't have bothered,there wasn't much there to look at.  
It's a lovely area, lots of fast flowing rivers. I took a very minor road, which was very pot holey.
I wanted to have a look at a massive waterfall called High Force, but unfortunately the path was closed for maintenance work. Never mind, I will have to come back another time.
 
So here I am in my room at the Fossil Tree B & B, in the Market Place at Stanhope, Weardale. I am meeting up with a group of walkers tomorrow at Westgate. The leader is Mike Knipe, his blog, Northern Pies, is over on the sidebar. Should be a good laugh, I haven't met Mike before, so it will be fun to meet him and his pals. I'm going to watch a bit of tele now, a novelty for me, ha ha. Catch you tomorrow. Toodle pip.

14 comments:

  1. I love Georgian architecture..it's the symmetry of it all I think. Enjoy tomorrow!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interest post - lovely photos of places I've never heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Barney. You should try the tea shop on the front street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Thanks for sharing your wonderful scenery and ancient buildings!
    Here in America, we have nothing to compare. Although, here in Munising, michigan we do have many beautiful waterfalls.
    I'm sure you'll have a grand time on your day away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! You write the most interesting blog! I love to hear about the places you walk to and through. The pictures are wonderful!
    Martha from Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ilona
    I've been to that museum. It's fantastic inside. They has the one and only silver clock work swan that they wind up just once a day. you can find it on youtube. We love this part of the country and visit it each each year as we have friend that live just outside the village of Alston. We once had breakfast in a cafe near to theat market cross in your photo. Hope you have a great time and I look forward to your pictures.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely day out. I have been to High Force and if you get the chance another time give it a go. It's spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you have a great day walking. It's a super area for walking.
    Brenda in the Boro

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you love it when you make a wrong turn, and end up discovering somewhere new?
    I love Barnard Castle, thanks for posting. Loved the Butter Market building too.
    Don't mind the disappointment at not viewing the High Force waterfall this time around, it will be even more beautiful when you eventually get there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The "Wow Factor" indeed! Doesn't even look real, does it?

    I enjoy Northern Pies very much, and look forward to your report on the walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ilona A lovely post today. I am pleased you are having a great time. I think you solved my riddle the other day, Yes life is back to normal once again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A professional driver took a wrong turning?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ilona
    I hope you have a lovely time, I live nearby and Teesdale and the surrounding areas are beautiful, it has some really lovely walks. You must come back one day to see High force and the walk down through the dales to Low Force.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sometimes wonder if you realize just how blessed you are to be able to wander about like you do. Over here it would be trespassing (except for public lands) and Americans, including myself, do not like that at all.

    I enjoy your walks and seeing your country.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.