Thursday 5 December 2013

Keeping safe, staying indoors.

I have been listening to BBC Radio Humberside all day, there have been updates giving severe weather warnings for the whole of the east coast. At this moment in time, almost 7pm, the reports are non stop about areas that are already under water, and areas under threat are being evacuated. We have had extremely high winds all day, and now we have the biggest high tidal wave in the last 60 years, coming up the Humber right now. 
Grimsby, Cleethorpes, and Hull are flooding, people are ringing in with what they are seeing, it is an extremely dangerous situation. Victoria Dock in Hull is about to flood in the next hour and everyone is being instructed to leave. Places of safety are being set up in leisure centres, elderly people are being moved out of their residential homes. I am amazed at what I am hearing, it is quite upsetting to think what people must be going through. There are a lot of low lying villages along the banks of the Humber, the Ouse, and the Trent, and some of them not far from here are being evacuated now. Luckily where I live is on the top of a hill so I am safe here.
This was the scene yesterday as I went for a walk. The River Trent is beyond the green field you see, so there is no way it will flood up here. We do have some houses, a pub, and a caravan park down at the bottom of the hill, quite close to the river. I haven't heard any news about what is happening down there, but I have seen the river come over it's banks before, and stop a few yards from the pub.  
I went outside briefly today during the wind, to retrieve some bins that were being blown about, and it was flippin cold. Best place to be is indoors, so this is where I have stayed. I have moved my extra large table to the front window so I can look out as I work. I have hung a second set of curtains over the ones already up, so it is nice and snug. The desk light keeps me warm. I've got my sewing machine and computer close at hand, no need to go anywhere today. I am working on the third patchwork square now, getting on really well with it.

I think it's forecast to be better tomorrow, so hopefully the wind might die down, and I might be able to venture out. Today it was not possible, the wind was too strong.

A quick hello to Austin, thank you for your friendly and interesting comments.
Toodle pip.

21 comments:

  1. I hope the impending weather threat turns out to be not so bad as forecast. Like yr photo.....are the plants in the foreground teasels ? The birds [gulls?] are stunning.
    Metta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Ilona, I`m glad you seem to be save where you live. I feel sad for anyone that might get there home flooded just now. It`s horrible to experience this at any time of the year, but even more upsetting when we have Christmas just round the next corner. Let`s just hope that not too much damage gets done. What a freak weather we are experiencing now. According to reports these kind of extreme conditions will grow in frequency over the next few years. A frightening prospect for the future. Let`s hope that most people can return to undamaged homes by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you all keep safe. Here in Herefordshire we are safe but my thoughts are with you all.
    Dianne - Hereford

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scotland has had a real bashing from it judging by the news. Over here it has started to calm down (it doesn't help that Oldham is built on top of a hill) but we have bins blown over with the contents spread out and a lot of fence panels have gone, we also had a few birdies trying to fly and got smacked into the windows - horrendous weather.

    Elaine from Oldham

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather all over the world is changing. We went from very cold to sweater only weather today. Usually at this time of year, there is snow ...deep snow...in our neck of the woods.

    Keep warm! I can't think of anything nicer than a day at my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay safe guys. I just read that a blog friend has evacuated her house in Australia because of bush fires. Crazy weather is everywhere.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know that you are on a hill, but my thoughts are with everyone in danger on the East Coast. Take care tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep yourself safe, the wind has been 86 mph up here this afternoon !
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just been looking at all the warnings for the east coast and some of the south coast. I don't think I've ever seen so many. I hope it dies down before much more damage occurs. I've not been out at all today, other than to close a window in the empty bungalow (yes someone left it unlatched and the wind caught it.) and secured it. The blind had fallen down. Good job it was spotted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking of you when I heard the forecast for Humberside. Keep yourself indoors with everything battened down. I'm assuming all your puddycats are indoors as well. Take care and post soon just to let us all know you're OK

    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bad here too. Just seem pictures of someone's whole roof blown off, right in their garden
    http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/high-winds-blow-roof-house-6376535 can you imagine?! Take care Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep safe Ilona! It is windy here but no risk of floods for us fortunately

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope it ends better than the forecast! Stay warm, we are getting about 5 inches here tonight.....I think winter is finally here for us

    ReplyDelete
  14. Weather can be both awe and fear inspiring. I hope you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hope everyone fares well, and no excessive damage, thankful you are safe on the hill, hugs and prayers for all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of damage up here in Scotland yesterday. Schools closed and transport not running to those that were open due to trees coming down on the roads. Lots of trees and fences down in the village too. The snow didn't even lie as it was getting blown horizontally. Very icy now and more snow forecast. We too live up a hill. I feel for anyone who has a house that is damaged by flooding or storms.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Listening to Burnsy on Radio Humberside this morning Ilona and looking at the Hull Daily Mail website, unbelievable how far the floods spread into the town, and all along the banks of the Humber, Hull and Ouse. Your heart goes out to people whose homes have been breached, the damage can be devastating. We should count our blessings as we sit in our warm, dry homes....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! Stay safe and warm. Winter weather can be so harsh. I am busy making a second set of curtains for some windows in our house as the cold air has hit hard where I am. Praying that your weather is better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Terrible weather was forecast here on the Essex coast - some places have had flooding but not as bad as it could have been (so far). I was called into work overnight for the Council so I am knackered today. Still, a bit of overtime for the New Year, always welcome!! I hope you are still warm and snug.

    Jane
    http://shoestringcottage.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its been pretty bad here in Scarborough north of Hull, My neighbour got sandbags for him and me for our doorways, we are a bit raised up on my road but the water is gushing down and floods are everywhere, so far the water has flooded our driveway but not reached the front door, We have another high tide due about now so keeping fingers crossed we are spared. we are in bungalows so can not move furniture to an upstair area. It is so cold also and snow flurrys are forcast. Off to fill some flasks with soup and tea just in case power goes off, got the torch and the camping lamps handy also.
    Danneke

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good gracious, Ilona - I was looking at the news this morning and the pictures from your neck of the woods were quite alarming! Stay safe, and I hope everyone else does, too.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.