Sunday 18 January 2015

So many Great places to visit in Britain.

Hello. So many places to see and not enough time, the UK really does have a lot to offer. Here are a few more of Julia's Wonders of Britain. Pictures from the relevant web sites, and Wikipedia.

St Pauls Cathedral, London.  There has been a Cathedral here for 1,400 years, built and rebuilt five times. The present cathedral is the masterpiece of Britains most famous architect, Sir Christopher Wren. It's world famous dome is an iconic feature of the London Skyline. I have been here, but didn't go inside, must do that next time.


Manchester Town Hall is on Julia's list. It was five years ago when I was in Manchester for the day and went to see it. I can say it is a fabulous building, if you are there go inside and have a look round. It was designed by Architect Alfred Waterhouse and was completed in 1877. The Town Hall is open Monday to Saturday, check on the web site which rooms are available for viewing. Free entrance.


Julia chose The Watercress Line as her favourite steam train destination. The Mid Hants Railway runs between New Alresford and Alton. I love steam trains and was lucky enough to get a ride on one  here when my friend Carol who lives in Hampshire, took me for a visit. There are many special events planned for 2015, check the web site for details.


SS Great Britain is a museum ship and former passenger steamship, built in Bristol. She was the first steamer to cross the Atlantic between Bristol and New York, which she did in 1845 in a time of 14 days. She was designed by Brunel for the Great Western Steamship Company. Oh my, does she look magnificent or what. This has to go on my list, I need to go to Bristol. The picture and additional information can be found on Wikipedia. 



I went to visit the National Coal Mining Museum near Wakefield, and can report that it is fantastic place to visit. You can read about my trip here.  Julia also enjoyed it, taking the same underground trip as I did. It really brings it home to you just how hard the work of a miner was at the coal face. Entrance to this site is free, there is a small charge to go down to the coal face.. Here is the web site. 


Julia also visited The Leadenhall Building, a new skyscraper in the centre of London, which has been nicknamed The Cheesegrater. It looks a fascinating place, I've been reading up about it. I haven't any plans to revisit London any time soon, but if you are there, maybe this is a good place to visit. The picture and more information can be found at Wikipedia.


These are some of the places that Julia Bradbury visited on her Wonders of Britain tour, I am sure that there are many more that would be worthy of inclusion. Hope you have enjoyed this small selection.  Blimey, I've got a lot of travelling to do before I die, I need to get a move on.
Are you going travelling this year? Tell me where. Toodle pip.


5 comments:

  1. From Margie in Toronto - yes I am - this year's big trip is hopefully to Iceland, probably in late May for about 8 days. We will stay in Rekyavek and do day excursions. Many of my friends have been and everyone raves about it. Then in the Fall I'd like to get to Quebec City for 4 days (by train) - I haven't been there as yet and I'm really trying to see more of Canada as well as getting back to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been all over Britain with my driving job but not managed to see a lot.
    We've got the birthplace of Samuel Crompton and the 16th century manor house where he invented his spinning mule nearby and Fred Dibnahs house isn't too far away. Theres a heritage railway in the next town that held a steam gala over the weekend.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have got a country with some fantastic places to visit and wonderful things to see haven't we.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see Julia has Manchester Town Hall on her list, it is beautiful and I am inordinately proud of my home city so good to see it included!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ilona, I too love your Island. I've visited once but we stayed in London but went on a day trip to Bath and Stonehenge which we thoroughly enjoyed. Loved the bus ride into the countryside. I'd love to come back and see more of England. For such a small country, you have so much history and so many places to see. Thanks for all your photos. I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.